PR Account Manager
At 89up, the PR team’s role is to create compelling narratives for impactful storytelling, and to execute PR campaigns for a range of different causes - from animal welfare, nature and climate change to human rights and freedom of expression. The PR team is made up of PR professionals, award-winning journalists and ex-charity communications senior leaders.
We are looking for a media savvy Account Manager with exemplary client communications skills to join our PR team and support in launching world-class PR campaigns for our ethical clients, manage a range of accounts and work alongside our Advocacy Insight and Mobilisation, Labs and Studio teams on integrated campaigns.
We require a strong communicator with exceptional client management skills to become a key part of our busy team. You will bring attention to detail, have a solutions-focused mentality, be commercially minded and capable of multi-tasking to deliver high quality work under pressure.
Description of the Role
We’re looking for someone who’s got an eye for news and is starting to build their black book of media contacts. You should have strong media relations skills, being able to run sell-ins while managing a portfolio of clients and team members. You should be a confident self-starter who is able to manage a range of accounts.
A brilliant juggler, you are able to manage a multitude of different projects and integrated campaign deliverables at once seamlessly.
You will have lots of initiative and strong communications skills, expertly managing up and down across multiple accounts. As well as this, you will act as quality controller on your accounts, making sure that team members are delivering high quality outputs before final review from senior management.
Most importantly, you must love all things PR and creative ideation - actively taking part in creative brainstorms and constantly sharpening your creative edge. You should also have a solid understanding of strategy, always ensuring you and the team are well equipped to work towards campaign objectives set out on accounts.
Ideally you should have 2-3 years of experience, preferably with an agency, and looking to take the next step in your career.
What we’re looking for…
Your core responsibilities will be:
- Manage media relations and maintain strong personal relationships with journalists, bloggers, and influencers across national, trade, vertical and social media and channels
- Provide regular progress reports back to your client ensuring that we are delivering on all KPIs and consistently working in a reactive and proactive way
- Plan, coordinate and execute assigned elements of your client campaigns (e.g. launches, press trip) to a high standard, adhering to deadlines and budgets.
- Manage your team and resources accordingly
- Oversee development of PR campaigns from brief through to delivery with support from PR team seniors
- Ensure all written copy from junior staff is of consistently high quality as a result of practice, guidance and excellent editing
- Take a strategic approach to interrogating briefs, and unearthing insights that inform creative direction
Account and team management
You should be
- Able to thrive in an agile environment with obsessive attention to detail. You should be organised as well as being flexible, a natural problem solver, and have the ability to stay cool under pressure.
- Personable and have a natural ability to build strong relationships at all levels both with clients and internally
- Commercially driven with experience in managing day-to-day project activities and identifying new opportunities
- Eager to take full responsibility for project timelines and deadlines through implementation and improvement of task and time management processes
- Great at ensuring delivery of all account outputs on deadline and on budget
- Keen to foster positive client relationships through excellent client handling, and consistent exceeding of their expectations.
- 2-3 years experience in agency/in-house experience
- A passion for innovation, fighting climate change and defending human rights
- Demonstrable experience in successfully managing media sell-ins from start to finish, with evidence of strong media contacts
- Confident in creative ideations and demonstrable experience in successfully contributing to creative briefs. An interest in cause-based campaigning, and the challenge of engaging audiences with those causes is important.
- Proficiency in creating presentations, documents and spreadsheets, as well as use of project management tools
- Excellent standard of written English. Copywriting skills are mandatory.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with the wider team during pitches and presentations
- Cool and calm when working under pressure, and able to anticipate - and solve - problems
- Ability to produce work to a high standard quickly and professionally with excellent attention to detail, and high levels of initiative
- Line management and mentoring experience
Additional Skills for Bonus Points (nice, but not mandatory)
- Experience working on a Global account, and/or with non-UK based clients, would be beneficial but not essential.
- Agency experience
This is a role that will allow you to explore your strengths in a multi-disciplinary, integrated communications environment. You will experience exposure to senior team members (experts in a variety of fields who are on hand to offer masterclasses and mentoring), opportunities (especially within the integrated marketing mix - so you learn about other specialisms and try your hand at them), creativity and content creation (with a flat structure, everyone ideas are valued), and clients and client management. All of these things will enable you to hone your talent, while broadening your skill set and fast-tracking your career progression, in a passionate, supportive and friendly environment.
WHAT WE ARE OFFERING
- A competitive base salary with excellent performance-linked bonuses
- Gold-plated sickness benefits and life insurance
- Company wide bonuses, 2 yearly
- Enhanced maternity/paternity pay
- Private GP, private counselling, eyecare vouchers, wellbeing service
- 24 days holiday plus a day off for your birthday
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Company pension contributions
- Plenty of scope to develop your career in a fast-growth business
- An opportunity to be seen, heard and counted in your contributions, and not get lost in the noise and tangle of a large corporate business
89up is Europe's first impact agency. We campaign for great causes, build technology, tackle complex problems and inspire action. 89up was founded with a clear mission: to create a powerful integrated communications agency for the world’s most important causes. In the last eight years, we’ve become one of the Financial Times 1000 fastest growing companies in Europe, and delivered some of the biggest non-profit campaigns around the world. We are now in the top two specialist agencies for the non-profit sector globally.
Our Advocacy, Insights and Mobilisation team delivers data-driven insights for impactful strategies to mobilise audiences; our Labs team builds innovative websites and bespoke advocacy tools to engage consumers and decision-makers; our Studio team crafts beautiful content from podcasts to animations; and our PR team makes sure our campaigns make the headlines.
From freeing political prisoners to taking on the banks who fund the climate crisis, to EU campaigns against fossil fuels and PR campaigns for many of the UK’s biggest charities, to global challenges that excite people the world over, there is genuinely never a dry moment at 89up.
For your career, we put a huge emphasis on training and promotions - with promotion and pay reviews twice a year. Some members of the team have been promoted twice in a single year. You will get a lot of attention from seniors with significant experience helping you to grow in the role. This is a company that is growing quickly, so there’s plenty of room for career development.
Please apply by emailing a CV, covering letter or both to: firstname.lastname@example.org